Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Back to MOMA

Some people love to visit the Museum of Modern Art to make fun of the so-called art on display. That's certainly half the fun. But it's also fun to note the little ways the bored staff takes revenge on a demanding and, no doubt, annoying public.

Take for example the terribly grumpy woman who handed me an audio device outside the photography exhibit, the only open exhibit on the 6th floor. She took my ID, delivered her robotic speech on how to use the device and then picked up her book in silent dismissal. I did *not* see her watching me out of the corner of her eye, nor did I hear her chuckling demonically.

I love doing the audio tours and I was eager for some commentary on the likes of Hannah Wilke and Ana Mendieta whose minds, I daresay, work quite differently from mine. I made my way through the entire first room and still had not seen any headphone icons that would indicate there was some audio content on the topic. In fact, I went through the entire gallery -- the entire floor. No audio content.

I can just see the grumpy museum lady at home that night telling her husband about her day. "Yep, heh heh, I got 36 people to carry around an absolutely useless headset. Heh heh heh."

No comments: