Friday, October 22, 2010

Forget the Pied-a-Terre

Dreaming about a condo in NYC, I toured a lovely place on the upper east side. Definitely out of my price range, but a girl can dream.

Next I looked on Craig's list. Hmmmmm. I saw an occasional price tag that might be in reach if I give up food for the next couple of years. The real shock, however, was not the price, but the monthly fee. As you know, if you live in a condo -- almost anywhere -- you pay monthly home owners dues. In CO, you pay such fees even in a detached home. Our fee monthly fee is about $50.

In NYC, I'm seeing monthly fees of $1600 per month (or more, depending on the place). ACK!

Better look at rentals. So, I'm thinking Greenwich Village might be a nice location. Back to Craig's List. Ah, here's a nice place. It's kind of small at 500 sq ft, but cozy could be good. Monthly rent: $3,100. ACK!

Guess I'll save this dream for my next lifetime.

3 comments:

Judy said...

The place visited together on 72nd Street has fee of $3000 a month and parking costs $600 a month extra. High Christmas tips to the doorman are expected too.

SUBLET .... with rent control the landlord can only tack on 10%.

Anonymous said...

I hate paying $57 in Colorado. All HOAs do is annoy you, IMO.

skipway said...

you are definitely going to miss NYC when you are slowly rocking back and forth on your Loveland porch!