Sunday, October 10, 2010

Cemeteries

Whether real or fake, cemeteries are big around here at this time of year. Think Sleepy Hollow, Headless Horsemen and Halloween. Lyndhurst finished building its scarecrow cemetery. (Note: *all* those figures in the background are scarecrows):

And the real cemeteries are crowded too, not only with "permanent residents" (as they like to say around here) but also with locals and tourists looking for a good time. The cemetery tours for all of October and November were sold out last week, which inspired me to take my own self-guided tour to find out what I will be missing.

I went to the Sleepy Hollow cemetery looking for ghoulish, or at the very least, florid artwork and campy epitaphs. What I found instead were your normal, run of the mill, expensive stones with names on them -- just what you might expect to find in a Westchester cemetery. Without anything outrageous to distract me, I suddenly began to obsess on the fact that I was wandering around trampling on dead people. And, mind you, whereas some people cry at weddings, I tend to cry in cemeteries, even if I don't know any of the permanent residents. All it takes is a "Beloved wife of..." and the tears start to flow.

Making matters worse yesterday, I found sprinkled among the big stones the occasional simple marker with only a first name, or an initial, or (sob!) no markings at all.

I'm definitely crossing the Green-Wood Cemetery tour off my to-do list!


No comments: