Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Tut Tut

Unlike the rest of the world, until yesterday, Durf and I had not seen any of the King Tut exhibitions -- not 20 years ago, and not recently, either. We decided to see it here in NYC where we could view it alongside 3,000 screaming school children. It's much more fun examining the artifacts with six 8th grade girls practicing their cheerleading (especially the clapping part) right behind you.

Over the course of a couple of hours, Durf & I learned to let the kids swarm past us like a cloud of locusts. One group would overwhelm a room for a few minutes and then they'd be off to the next. Then we'd have a breather before the next swarm. It became almost tolerable.

The exhibit itself I give an A. I especially like the tiny little casket for Tut's liver. I can think of a few of my own body parts that will certainly deserve their own little casket. I'd better put it in my will.

After Tut we had an overwhelming urge for pizza, so we went down to the West Village to this pizza place we'd heard about. Have to give the pizza an A, too, even though it was of the thin crust variety. Durf loves thin crust pizza, so he was happy and (ultimately) stuffed. The crust could have come from Italy, I swear. I'd have taken a picture of it but it was so thin it wouldn't have shown up anyway.

1 comment:

cad said...

We almost made it to see King Tut, but we believed the web site which said it closed at 5pm on Sunday. Later, when we walked by it on our way to find dinner (we ate at the HB Burger on 43rd near Times Square - the Pumpkin brew was OK, but the burger and chicken were excellent), we discovered that it was open until 8pm. I didn't think it was worth it to spend 20 minutes inside, so we didn't.