Saturday, October 2, 2010

Apartment Living Redux

Durf is thinking he kind of likes it here in New York -- even the apartment. Hmmmmmm. I like New York, too, in spite of the apartment. But, as Durf points out, in some ways life has become simpler, even though our work and play plates are piled high. A couple of days ago, the laundry-alcove door came off in my hand. "Who you gonna call?" The Talleyrand Maintenance Man! And...oops, I spilled coffee all over the rug. Oh well, it's a rental.

If Durf is truthful, he will admit he likes apartment living because it has opened a whole new world of gadgets to him. We have a gadget for hanging wet clothes over a door (an improvement on Pandey's clothes line), a foldable dish-holder, an exercise machine you hang over a door (ok, it's a pull-up bar), a hat/purse holder you can hang over a door, itty bitty monster-sound speakers (sorry, neighbor), and of course wireless accessories for everything electronic. Durf's in geek heaven, for god's sake.

And then there are the smells that waft in from everyone else's kitchen. No need to cook fancy food. Just eat pablum and open the windows.

And it's not as though we never get a wildlife fix. Last night when I took out the garbage, I found myself face to face with a raccoon. Whoopie do.

Don't worry, I'm going running today.

No comments: