Thursday, October 7, 2010

Urban Cowgirl

Much as I love the country and the outdoors, I'm an urban girl at heart. There's no denying it. Once a city's population reaches critical mass, the entire region turns into a blooming garden of eclectic events and activities. On any given day here in Tarrytown, I can open the local paper and find gallery openings, poetry readings, nature hikes, museum tours, films, theater productions and a festival or two -- all within Westchester County. That's heaven to me!

Furthermore, every holiday provides an excuse for a large scale community event. Take Halloween, for example. Here it is, early October and Lyndhurst is already building the most amazing Night of the Living Dead cemetery you'd ever hope to see. A few days ago, I ran by and saw hundreds of wooden crosses sprouting from the lawn. The next day, a giant ghost or something appeared up-cemetery. Two days ago, as I loped by, I saw that at least half the crosses sported clothing. I can't wait to see what's in store for me today...and on Halloween.

I'm not saying Loveland doesn't know how to have fun. We have our book groups and art galleries. And of course there's skiing in the winter and bike riding in the summer. But community events are produced on a more modest scale. Take Halloween for example. The neighbors blow up a few vinyl ghosts for their front yard and five teenage boys come to our door for some candy. That's about it. And then there's the "Corn Roast Festival," which might be called "The Five-Booth Food Court on Main Street."

Ah, maybe we need a house in Loveland and a pied-a-terre in NY. Now, if only I had a few million dollars for a down payment. Guess I'll set up a booth at the Corn Roast Festival.

No comments: